Saturday, August 28, 2010

Farewell injections! but one more on the butt.

Ah...my ultrasound today had shown that my eggs were grown and "well done" as the good Doctor says. :) Things are looking good and we're all set to go for egg retrieval on first thing Monday morning.  My husband is to give me a 10,000U of HCG trigger shot on my butt exactly around 10:30PM tonight.  I hope he doesn't miss my butt. haha. 30~35hrs later, the eggs are retrieved, very very time sensitive matter. Am I nervous? heck yeah.  We also have to remember that this could be a non-successful procedure. We'll find out in about 20 days.  I wonder what people think when they think of IVF. The honest truth to the number is that the success rate for a woman my age at the clinic that I'm going to is between 50~65% live birth rate. I'm sure that this varies by clinics...I've done my research at the CDC website that lists clinics that have comparable success rates, by clinical pregnancy (a heartbeat), live birthrate, singletons (single baby), multiples..etc.  My EN has a 30% multiple birth rate. 

Due to our beliefs, we are clear that we're implanting two embryos and freezing the rest for future donation to a non-fertile couple or up for adoption in case that we both pass away.  We also need to include them in our will in case that we are not able to see this through in our lifetime.  To think that far is.. well, let's just say that it's not often that I think beyond my death about embryo's destiny. I need to to do research on Christian adoption agency or embryo bank.  Did you guys see Vanilla Sky? with Tom cruise and his temp girlfriend Penelope Cruz? He chose to be frozen, and he suffered from malfunction of his own torturous afterlife dream state.  Well, boys and girls- we are there now.  Cryopreservation.  I asked the coordinator " can I just take the embryos and keep them in my freezer?" you can guess the reply.

Interesting fact, the very first american female IVF baby is now 30yrs old & just gave birth to her own child, naturally.  So genetically, IVF is not passed down.  Ha!

If you're interested in the top performing IVF clinics & the data of success rates, the reliable source is CDC (center for disease prevention & control)
http://www.cdc.gov/ART/ARTReports.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment