Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 5 of my ivf

So it's been 5 days since I started my injections.  I wanted to write something down, somewhere about what's been happening to me.  Yeah, I guess sharing makes me feel better- perhaps it's a woman thing. So far, this is what I've done before starting ivf.

age: 37 going on 38
religion: Christian
history of infertility: 2yrs +
FSH: 4.0
Estrodiol: 19.8
eggs: still there!!
hubby: excellent count & xclnt motility,  my dr. wanted to shake his hand (which makes this seem more odd)
stress: I've got a fairly easy going life with 2 dogs, living near the beach.  but not luxurious.

so why ivf? I'm the perfect candidate to be a mother of .... gosh, maybe 2 or more? my mother had 8 pregnancies, no miscarriages.   Apparently, I should be fertile as well- right? :)
so when I married my wonderful hubby- he's truly what I've waited for for  my 34yrs of life...we wanted to enjoy being married, so we didn't start trying till 1 yr after.  and that's when all this complications began.

we fortunately had a good insurance coverage, so our infertility treatment was mostly copayment of $20.  Talk about blessings from God! and perhaps because of this, we didn't mind going through the process. 

I started with blood tests, showing nothing wrong.  HSG test, which showed my plumming was great.  Husband's sperm count (3 times, just to make sure) was great.

only thing was, my cycle was very long.  I mean 34~42days long.  And it was very light.  And it's been that way for me since my early 30's. I guess this is not too rare?  Anyhow, clomid (pill form 100mg/day) started me on the road to fertility.  Unfortunately, ultrasound showed I developed cysts.  Great. Not to mention that it drove me bonkers with emotional waves crashing constantly onto whomever is around...usually my poor hubbs.  So we decided that the next step is the way to go- so we went to a more specialized infertility Dr. under Kaiser (hospital we have insurance with). 
Dr. decided that it was time to start with the injectables.  I was on 2vialsx5 days to stimulate 2 or more follicles.  prayer helped before injecting. :) it was subcutaneous, and not too painful- but if you know me, you know that I turn pale at the sight of needles.  We did that successfully for 2 terms, accompanied by IUI (basically artificial insemination) . no luck.

so after much prayer, contemplation, crying, negotiating, God know how many "I'm pregnant!" friends and cousins, we realized that this wasn't going to happen naturally.  Something was missing.  We needed help and divine help at that.  And so we started on the road to find the best doctor possible for my age group.

No comments:

Post a Comment